Occupational Licensing Industry News OLIN 2007 06 Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Changes
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard ChangesPDF Version
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently amended the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for occupant head impact and side impact protection requirements and set compliance dates. Changes such as these from NHTSA, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Federal Highway Administration, and from other federal agencies that affect vehicle manufacturers are published in the Federal Register.
The Federal Register is the official daily publication for rules, proposed rules, and notices of federal agencies and organizations.
The Federal Register website offers the same information online (free of charge). Articles published for federal agencies for today’s date as well as those published back to 1994 are available on the website. Each day the website lists the articles published that day in the Table of Contents page.
The Department of Motor Vehicles encourages manufacturers licensed by the department to use the Federal Register website to access the most up-to-date information from federal agencies that impact the vehicle and vessel industry.
DMV is providing the information below to assist manufacturers in finding articles on the Federal Register website’s Table of Contents page (using the occupant head and side protection articles as examples) and to receive daily Table of Contents page updates from the Federal Register via e-mail.
To read the entire occupant head and side impact articles, which include contact information, print this memo as a guide and then access the Federal Register website (bypassing the Federal Register Main Page) by clicking on www.gpoaccess.gov/fr/browse.html this opens the Browse page).
To view the occupant side impact article, do the following:
- On the Federal Register Browse page, read the page to learn how the Table of Contents page works.
- Then click the GO button (next to Back Issues (HTML only) 2007).
- On the Federal Register Online via GPO Access page, click on Tuesday, September 11, 2007.
- Scroll down to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Rules, and click either TEXT or PDF to read the entire article
To view the coccupant head impact article, do the following:
- Return to the Federal Register Online via GPO Access page using your back arrow button.
- Click on Wednesday, September 5, 2007.
- Scroll down to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Rules, and click either TEXT or PDF to read the entire article.
To receive a free daily listing of the Federal Registers Table of Contents page via e-mail do the following:
- Return to the Browse page using your back arrow button or the link in this memo.
- Click on FR Main Page which is in the Database features section on the left.
- On the Federal Register Main Page, find Other Services and click on Sign up.
- On the Keeping America Informed page click on Online mailing list archives.
- On the List Archives page, click on FEDREGTOC-L.
- On the Archives of FEDREGTOC-L page click on Join or leave the list (or change settings).
- On the Join or leave the FEDREGTOC-L list page, read the page, following the directions, complete the page to join, and receive the Table of Contents list daily.
To research back articles or find the other services offered at the Federal Register website go to the Federal Register Main Page by clicking on www.gpoaccess.gov/fr/index.html.
Note: Due to frequent website design changes, the previous instructions may become obsolete. In that case, refer to the Federal Register website directions.
Notification that this memo is available online at www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/olin/olin.htm was made via e-mail alert in October 2007.
MARY GARCIA, Chief